Your First 12 Months
The first twelve months of employment after training with the Ontario Provincial Police is a probationary employment period. During this time a recruit receives academic training and field instruction under the supervision of a trained coach officer.
OPP recruits spend the first week at the Provincial Police Academy in Orillia, Ontario for orientation training.This is followed by 12 weeks of Constable basic training at the Ontario Police College (O.P.C.) in Aylmer, Ontario. O.P.C. training is academically and physically rigorous. The college has 162 full-time and part-time employees including instructors and support staff. The Basic Constable Training Program is designed to provide candidates with a sound knowledge of the laws and procedures that front-line officers are required to apply in the performance of their duties. Particular emphasis is placed on the core functions of the police services as found in section 4(2) of the Police Services Act:
- Crime Prevention
- Law Enforcement
- Assistance to Victims of Crime
- Public Order Maintenance
- Emergency Response
For more information, please visit the O.P.C. website.
After twelve weeks at O.P.C., the candidate returns for five more weeks at the Provincial Police Academy to complete the training before new officers attend at their respective posted detachments.
OPP recruits are expected to excel in all areas during training.
Once a new officer has completed their training and begins working at their posted detachment, they will continue as a probationary constable for a period of twelve months where they will receive continuous evaluation.
As a new OPP constable you should always keep in mind:
- What do I want to do next?
- What Areas of specialization am I interested in?
- What division would I like to work in next?
- What opportunities am I going to pursue?
- How do I let people know what my interests are?
- What can I do to prepare myself to take advantage of the next available opportunity I am interested in?
- What is required or expected of me to be promoted or get a desirable assignment?