Provincial S.A.V.E. Unit
The Snowmobile ATV and Vessel Enforcement (S.A.V.E.) Unit is committed to ensuring Ontario's trails and waterways are a safe place to enjoy the outdoors responsibly. SAVE members establish their patrol priorities through an intelligence-led policing model that ensures these specialized resources are used at the right time and in the right places. SAVE members work closely with partners and enthusiasts to heighten awareness of applicable legislation and encourage compliance. The following links provide information that will assist you in understanding the legislation as well as some of the inherent risks associated with snowmobiling, off-roading and boating. Additional questions or concerns can be addressed to the S.A.V.E. Unit by clicking on the email address link. A Unit member will review your message and respond.
- Reduce injuries and deaths on the province’s waterways and trails
- Assist the OPP Academy as Instructors for marine, ATV and snow machine operator training for OPP members
- Support detachment efforts with local concerns related to trail and waterway safety
- Contribute to the Provincial, Regional and Detachment Business Plans within our disciplines
These mobile, four-season teams target high-risk
operator behaviour on waterways and trails, throughout the year, and enhance
ongoing education and enforcement activities with additional patrols, education
and focused enforcement.
Regular S.A.V.E. Duties
- M.S.V. instruction
- Marine instruction
- A.T.V. instruction
- Attend major trail and waterways event such as Poker Runs and Trail Rallies
- Joint patrols with Ministry of Natural Resources Conservation Officers
- Coroner’s Inquest research and preparation
- Annual patrol and business plan preparation
- Assist with missing and overdue persons on land and water
- RIDE checks with an emphasis on trails and waterways
- Public education events i.e. outdoor show, boat show, public displays
- Public presentations i.e. fishing clubs, trapping clubs, etc.
Have questions or concerns you would like to relay to the SAVE Unit? Click here to email the SAVE Unit and a member will review your message and respond.