Underwater Search and Recovery Unit
The OPP Underwater Search and Recovery Unit (U.S.R.U.) is comprised of 13 full-time divers, and is responsible for providing safe underwater search and recovery operations throughout Ontario.
The U.S.R.U. assists the OPP and other police services and agencies primarily in the search for missing persons, evidence of major crimes and explosive disposal.
The U.S.R.U. has the capability to diving to a depth of 100 feet, the Side Scanning Sonar capability to 250 feet and the Remote Operated Vehicle (R.O.V.) to 500 feet!
The U.S.R.U Selection Criteria & Process:
- By way of application, interested candidates must:
- Have a minimum of three years policing service
- Possess a diving certification from an external agency with a recorded minimum of 25 hours bottom time
- Have the recommendation of their Detachment and Regional Commander
- Commit to being available on short notice at unusual hours
- Make a five-year commitment to the U.S.R.U.
- Be of above average physical condition and meet the requirements of the Ontario Fitness Award
- Have demonstrated & documented examples of:
- Patience, emotional stability and self-confidence
- Sound judgement and the ability to speak under stress
- Good oral/written skills
- Decisiveness, innovation and leadership
- Working well in a team environment
Successful candidates at the application stage will then be required to:
- Pass a medical examination certificate in accordance with the Code For The Medical Examination of Divers.
- Write and pass a diving physics and physiology examination.
- Be successful before an oral board consisting of a Commissioned Officer, the U.S.R.U. Commander and a U.S.R.U. Team Leader.
- Have a positive psychological assessment prepared by our Force psychologist.
- Successfully complete the 8 day Selection Course.
Successful candidates will be then attend an 8 week Underwater Skills Program at Seneca College where they will be required to successfully complete the required training for:
- Restricted Occupational SCUBA Diver
- Unrestricted Occupational SCUBA Diver